Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cookie, Cookie, Who's Got the Cookie?


When I was a girl, I loved being a Girl Scout. While all the other girls were whispering and passing notes, I was keeping a log of all my earned badges and figuring out what I needed to do to earn more. My favorites were the ones were I got to put things together, or to learn about science. It was also the first and last time that I got to wear a uniform. Color-coordinated polyester goodness! Also, because of this early exposure, I loved Girl Scout cookies from an early age. I didn't much care for selling them (going door to door and talking to strangers just isn't my cup of tea), but.. oh yum.. the cookies!

Having a son of my own instead of a daughter, I no longer have an easy "in" for getting as many cookies as I want. We do have a couple of sources, though. John's got someone at work. And one of the girls in the neighborhood sometimes comes to our door. But we have to be on our toes. To make sure we get our cookies, every spring we go on the prowl, laying in wait for when the cookies will go on sale. And then we pounce. Whoever gives us the first opportunity gets a huge order.

We order some of everything. I have my favorites. John has his. Otto likes to have as wide a variety as possible in as large a quantity as possible. And Mort, well, he'll only eat the Thin Mints. But he eats a lot of them.

We turn into paranoid hoarders come Girl Scout cookie season. We love our Girl Scout cookies. So we each have our personal stashes that we carefully hide and guard. I have all of mine hidden in a very secret location. I won't tell where. Otto might find out. I trust Otto in most things, but when it comes to Girl Scout cookies, he cannot be trusted!

I must go. The Trefoils are calling me.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment