Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Playing the Modern Bargain Hunting Game


The other day I planned to go out shopping to buy Otto some new socks. He must be battling Orcs with his feet because every pair of his socks are filled with holes! Unfortunately, the snowy weather kept me inside. I secretly love it when that happens. But apparently Mother Nature didn't get the memo that it is springtime now? It was so snowy that Otto barely made it to the school bus. I could see his little head bobbing above the top of the snow, in the narrow crevice that John had carved out before work.

I decided to shop online instead.

One thing I like about shopping online is that it is easy to comparison shop without leaving your cushy office chair! I didn't even have to change out of my robot pajamas. I eventually managed to find awesome glow-in-the-dark space socks for a good price, but the price was so good that I didn't fill my basket with enough for the free shipping. Such is the curse that are online discounts.

I think websites ought to make a new category entitled "Items under $5 that you might need to fill out your order that you will eventually use even if you don't quite need them yet." I'm often searching out $1 and $2 items to get to the free shipping threshold. It's harder than you'd think! Pencils come in a gross. Even granola bars come in a package of six or twelve boxes. I kept adding inexpensive things until I got over the $25 limit. So when my package finally arrives, it will have a book, Otto's socks, crackers, toothpaste, and a small package of emery boards.

I love ordering so many disparate things! When I open the box, I will pretend that we're all lost on a desert island and we got lucky enough to get a care package from a passing airplane. Everything I ordered could be handy in such a situation. After all, you don't want to snag your nail on a coconut!

No comments:

Post a Comment